Tuesday, May 29, 2012


Day 7 May 27th, Horseshoe Bend Campsite (Mile 80) to Little Orleans Campground (Mile 141) on the C&O Canal.  Miles totaled 55.00.  As I write this blog/journal entry, it is raining very heavy and has been for about an hour.  We got into the campground about 5pm, set up, and took a very well deserved and needed shower.  About 6 or 6:30 the sky turned dark and let loose.  I am in my Hubba Hubba tent and so far quite dry.  I worry most about the amount of water coming off the tent and running underneath.  Sometimes it soaks through but so far so good.  I haven’t spoken to the others yet so I don’t know how they are doing.  It is amazing that I can fire up the Netbook and type away.  There were a lot of families at the campground most in trailers and RVs so I guess okay.  The ride began with a short stretch to Dam #4 and the detour up the hill.  I rode up the hill with the full load and got some confidence that I can push the weight all the way to Seattle (more on that later).  Dave, as usual, came up with a change to the route and we rode on Highway 63 straight into Williamsport.  The change was brilliant (kudos to Dave) although Bob and Fred wanted to ride the entire C&O.  I am sure they didn’t miss much but the route change saved about 6 miles.  Fred surprised me when he stopped in a Catholic church for an early mass.  I felt a little guilty for not doing the same, but made it a point to thank God for blessing me with this trip.  We found a Waffle House in Williamsport and had a big breakfast (yum).  Leaving Williamsport, we headed toward Hancock about 25 miles up the canal.  By Hancock, it was about 3 in the afternoon, so we went to Weaver’s for an early dinner/late lunch.  Goood comfort food!  I had the roast beef and brownie with peanut butter icing (picture).   The day was very hot, I think about 95 and humid.  Along the C&O trail, it was somewhat cooler but still humid.  We heard trains all day but only saw glimpses because the CSX is on the other side of the Potomac.  Tomorrow in Cumberland for some up close trains.

Wilma is doing well and likes all the restaurants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment