Wednesday, June 20, 2012


Day 31, Jun 20th, Shawano, WI to Wausau, WI.  Our hotel was right next to the Mountain to Bay Recreation Trail so we got a fairly early start.  The trail is pea gravel and has the usual railroad up and down grades.  The up-grades are deceiving and become quite hard and there is no glide.  We rode through some very sparsely populated areas.  The trail was through forested areas and farmland.  The Deer Flies were out and I was bitten right through my riding glove twice.  Left 2 little holes in the back of my hand.  At our first stop, we got out the Off and solved the problem.  We only stopped once for a snack in the tiny town of Bowler and made 45 miles before lunch which wasn’t until about 1:30.  Just before lunch we met fellow traveler at an intersection of 2 trails.  At first, I thought he just needed help deciding which trail to take, but upon further discussion, he was very lost.  Dave and I helped him with some directions.  After lunch we found him sitting beside the trail still lost.  Helped him again, but we weren’t too hopeful that he will find the right way.  It was hot and humid again but tomorrow is to be cooler.  We found a hotel in Wausau and ate dinner at the Great Dane Brew Pub.  The beer was excellent (I had a sampler of 4) and the food was pretty good too.  As we exited the restaurant, the sky was very dark and the rain began.  Total miles for the day were 65.05.   

1 comment:

  1. Arba - Andrea just sent me the URL for your blog. I've really enjoyed reading it, went all the way back to the beginning. Really inspiring, makes me excited for my own xcountry adventure one of these days. Stay safe, and happy trails!
    Joan Hughes

    ReplyDelete