Tuesday, August 7, 2012


Day 79, August 7th, Eureka, MT to Libby, MT.  I was up and ready to go this morning hoping to beat the heat.  The forecast was for temps well over 90.  The local station just confirmed the temps were over 100.  The motel/gas station/convenience store/Subway didn’t open until 6:30.  I got a free coffee, ate a pop tart and headed out.  The morning was cool but I shed my vest very quickly.  The route followed the Koocanusa Lake, a manmade lake stretching from the Libby Dam into Canada.  I hit the lake road at the 5 mile mark and got to the dam at mile 52.  I checked the web and the official length of the lake is 90 miles.  The dam was built in 1972.  It was a scenic ride.  The lake is bordered by mountains that go straight up to 5-6 feet on both sides.  The road was fairly flat but there were enough plenty of hills that wore me out.  Three deer and a Big Horned Sheep ran across the road no more than 30 yards in front of me.  On both occasions I was unable to get my camera out fast enough for a shot.  I stopped at the Koocanusa Campground and Marina for lunch.  It is a beautiful spot on one of the side inlets from the lake.  Just below the dam, the route switched to an old haul road for lumber and for the dam.  It was parallel to the railroad, but no trains.  Coming into Libby was a typical scene of a small Montana Valley in this area.  I opted for another motel (surprise) due to the heat (camping is no fun at 95-100 degrees).  Tomorrow I will get to Idaho.  Mileage for the day was 70.72.   

Bridge across the reservoir about 30 miles from the dam

Wilma liked the ride today!
Coming into Libby.

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous-wow! Glad to see Wilma out and about. Don't eat too many potatoes tomorrow!! I hope u stay in hotels/motels all the way, you don't want to stink up Seattle, plus u need a good restful night. God bless you brother dear, you are the family's star!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures-never been west of Glacier, other than to fly to the west Coast. Take care.

    ReplyDelete