Friday, August 10, 2012

  Day 82, August 10th, Skookum Creek Campground to Beaver Lodge Resort and Campground (on the road to Colville, WA.  I dallied in the campground this morning.  It was cool and sleeping bag was toasty.  At 6:30, I finally started moving and I was on the road by 8.  The tent was very wet with dew and condensation underneath the rain fly.  I laid everything out in the sun and got it partially dry.  The route continued along the Pend Oreille River and was scenic as all the rides seem to be in this section.  The good part about the ride was that it was mainly flat and cool.  I rode the 4 miles to Usk, WA for breakfast but the only café was closed on Fridays.  I had some coffee and met 2 brothers vacationing in the area.  Duffy and Rick and I had a great conversation about Minnesota, truck driving, and real estate.  I headed toward Ione, WA about 35 miles away.  I had a pop tart and a granola bar to keep me going.  It was smooth to Ione but none of the restaurants were open on Friday.  I had a burger at the supermarket/hardware/clothes store.  After lunch, it got hot and I had the tough part of the ride in front of me.  The road from Ione to Colville starts with a 6-7 mile climb and there was very little shade.  I had many second thoughts during the climb about the rest of the ride, but the top finally arrived and it was downhill all the way to the campground.  Note to self: PLAN THE CLIMBS FOR THE MORNING WHEN IT IS COOL!  The Beaver Lodge Resort has was started in 1948 when the road was not even paved out of Colville.  It has survived for many years and many owners.  The view from the dining is wonderful and tonight there is a Blue Grass Trio playing.  This is for Lew Goodman.  I had a smoked Prime Rib wrapped in bacon for dinner.  They used burgundy wine and some secret ingredients for 12 hours of smoking.  This overnight stay was quite a find.  Tomorrow looks easy and then on to Sherman Pass.  Mileage for the day was 55.70.



4 comments:

  1. I never heard of restaurants being closed on Fridays-interesting, but kinda strange! Since Dave left the expedition, the bakeries seem to have dried up! We are all wishing u well as u continue on your grand tour-it is the most exciting event this summer-better than the Greene County Fair!! Love, b

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Bruce just told me that his grappler rake (known as Jaws) came from colville, wa. So if u see anbo manufacturing company along the way, that's the place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again, just wanted to let u know that Coleman Scott, from waynesburg, won a bronze medal in freestyle wrestling at 60kg!!! just thought if u were watching any of the Olympics u might see his match! U should get a gold medal!! Thinking of u today and every day, love, your best younger sister

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tons of great pictures! You're doing awesome! Almost there! Hope you don't run into a Sasquatch.

    ReplyDelete