Monday, August 20, 2012


Day 92, August 20th, Anacortes, WA to Edmonds, WA.  I was wrong to make a big deal yesterday about finishing the tour.  Today I rode to Edmonds to meet my relatives, Sherm and Mary Williamson and it turned out to be one tough ride.  Sherm and I talked and agreed that I would ride to Kingston, WA and catch the ferry to Edmonds.  It was cool and cloudy in Anacortes this morning.  I found a café for breakfast about 6am and got on the road by 7:15.  After riding out of town, I began the series of climbs that would last all day.  The islands of the Puget Sound area are NOT FLAT.  I crossed Fidalgo island and went across a very high bridge across Deception Pass, a narrow strip of water between Fidalgo and Whidbey islands.  The tide was flowing out at a very fast pace and there were many whirlpools.  The route across Whidbey island started out okay but then the Adventure Cycling route took me out along the shore.  Did I mention that the islands were NOT FLAT?  The climbs up onto the bluffs were some of the hardest of the entire trip.  The scenery was great but I am not sure worth the effort.  I finally made it to Coupeville for a snack of coffee and a Danish.  It warmed up some, but was still cool near the water.  It was a short ride to the first of 2 ferry rides over to Port Townsend.  Coming off the ferry, I was faced with more climbs across the Upper Olympic Peninsula.  I decided to take the most direct route but I still had to push pretty hard to get to Kingston by about 4 pm.  I did cross a huge bridge across the Hood Canal with 4 separate draw-bridge sections.  Traffic was very heavy and I couldn’t stop for pictures.  On the ferry from Kingston to Edmonds I met 5 women from Mount Lebanon, PA, in town for a reunion.  All had graduated from Mount Lebanon HS which is an adjacent town to my home town of Carnegie.  I had estimated the mileage to be about 50 Arba-miles and true to form, mileage for the day was a little more at 75.11.  I am NOW AT THE END!       


5 comments:

  1. Yea. Congrats on a great adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Arba,
    Glad to hear you made it ok. Not surprised the topo was difficult, but sorry to hear it was about 25 miles longer. But know you get to rest. Thank goodness.
    We sailed to San Juan Island yesterday afternoon. And as you have already stated, "the islands are NOT flat". Today we will ride around the island, its around 50 miles. (The roads resemble San Francisco) I hope to see some whales today, wish me luck. Enjoy your time, you've earned it.
    Paula & Tom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well then, congratulations again and now you are finally finished! Looking forward to seeing you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job Arba!!!... what an adventure!... glad you made it safely and looking forward to seeing you in a couple of days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!!!! We're so glad you finished :) Trip of a lifetime for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete