Sunday, August 12, 2012


Day 84, August 12th, Kettle Falls, WA to Republic, WA.  I was up early to start before the day got hot.  Forecast was another day above 95 degrees.  Tom and Paula (the couple I met yesterday) left before 6am but let me know that I would catch them on the route up Sherman Pass.  I headed out and crossed the Columbia River and started up toward the pass.  I did catch up with Tom and Paula and settled into their pace.  Paula rides quite slowly up the hill and I was worried it would not be for me.  I found the pace quite nice and I was able to ride all the way up the pass with not much trouble.  For Dave Stoakley and Mike Fore, the Skyline Drive was tougher.  The grade from the east up Sherman Pass was not steep, just long and unrelenting.  We just kept a steady 4-6 mph pace all the way up.  I am very grateful to Tom and Paula to have invited me to join them.  I would have pushed much harder early in the climb and probably have worn out before the top.  We stopped frequently and made the Sherman Pass Overlook for a lunch break of bagels with peanut butter and apples.  The pass summit was another mile.  We crested and had an 18 mile downhill ride to Republic.  Tomorrow is another pass (Waconda) with a longer ride after the pass to get ready for the next climb.  Tom and Paula and I agree to ride together again.   They have been on the road since leaving May 7th from Cleveland.  I am very encouraged about the day and looking forward to the rest of the ride.  Mileage for the day was 44.25.   






2 comments:

  1. Great pictures and good luck riding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Less than 400 miles to go, if the Google is telling me the right things when it puts up its Beta bike maps. Keep up the good work - and don't forget to take some pictures at the top of the stupendous views for the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete