Friday, August 10, 2012


Day 81, August 9th, Sandpoint, ID to almost Usk, WA.  I moved into the Pacific  Time Zone and so I was awake early.  I delayed as long as I could and got up and put on my new front tire.  I watched the Today Show for a little while, at breakfast in the hotel restaurant, and packed everything.  I finally decided to get on the road about 9:30.  The route took me through downtown Sandpoint, a very nice town with lots of shops and restaurants.  There is plenty to do on the lake and a ski resort not far away.  There route took a 8 mile bike path south along U.S. Route 95 and then turned west up through a canyon to link with the Pend Oreille River.  I followed the river for most of the day.  There are many vacation homes on both sides as well as permanent residents.  It’s hard to tell  because many are around for the summer.  I don’t know how many stay all year.  I took it slow after yesterday’s push to get to Sandpoint to fix my tire problem.  My first stop was in Oldtown, ID which borders Newport, WA for lunch.  I decided to use my camping gear tonight and went about 15 miles further along the river to a Washington Dept of Natural Resources camping area, Skookum Creek.  It is primitive but has water.  Skookum Creek flows right passed my camp site.  Two Great Blue Herons flew in to feed, some Cedar Wax Wings have flown in for some berries, and a small brown squirrel with a white belly has been climbing some very tall pine trees to get pine cones. Mileage for the day was 51.32.  

No comments:

Post a Comment