Wednesday, August 8, 2012


Day 80, August 8th, Libby, MT to Sand Point, ID.  It seems unreal that I have been at this quest for 80 days!  I was awake and ready to go today.  My plan was to make it to Clark Fork, ID to be close to Sand Point to make a stop at a bicycle shop.  The rubber on my front tire has begun to separate from the tire.  I think all the rocks and gravel have taken a toll on the tire.  Still, I believe I have gotten 5000 to 6000 miles on the tire.  I got on the road, U.S. Route 2 going north from Libby following the Kootenai River and the BNSF railroad.  It was cool and the ride was just spectacular.  I saw a freight and the AMTRAK Empire Builder heading east.   The ride was mostly downhill and the Kootenai River goes through a gorge and over a falls.   I made great time to the first turn at 15 miles.  Route 56 starts with an uphill but then drops through a valley following the Bull River.  It was almost 40 miles of mostly downhill through the Cabinet Mountains, one of the last habitats of the Grizzly Bear.  Unfortunately, there are only about 15 Grizzly Bears left in the Cabinet Mountains Wildlife Area.  I saw many deer but no bear.  I made 51 miles by noon!  After lunch, I headed for Clark Fork where the problems began. First, I crossed into Idaho and gained an hour, so I started thinking I should keep going.  Then I couldn’t find a campground or motel in Clark Fork.  I moved on to New Hope, ID, but missed a turn and went passed all the campgrounds.  At this point I decided to make a run for Sandpoint some 20 miles away.  Lucky for me the wind was out of the south and I had a tail wind.  The route followed the shore of Lake Pend Oreille, a large lake but just the remnant of a huge lake formed by glaciers.   I rolled into Sandpoint following the Adventure Cycling Route which took me passed my motel and I had to back track.  Along the way, I found a bike shop and purchased a new tire.  I am ahead of schedule so I plan to sleep in, change my tire and do a short day tomorrow.  Mileage was way more than planned at 99.42.      
Kootenai River Valley


No comments:

Post a Comment