Sunday, August 12, 2012

Day 83, August 11th, Beaver Lodge Resort to Kettle Falls, WA.  Today was a planned easier day so I could hit Sherman Pass in the morning when it is cool.  I slept a little late but when camping as soon as it gets light, I am awake and ready to go.  I broke camp, packed the bike, and went to the lodge for breakfast.  Unfortunately or fortunately, the lodge did not open until 8am.  I sat in the sun at the lake front for about 40 minutes.  I saw a hummingbird and several ducks as well as the mist on the lake rising in the morning sun.  It was a very calming time.  We all should spend more time just taking in God’s creation.  It is so amazing how it all works together and is just stupendous (for Lauren and AG!).  While at breakfast, a couple I saw yesterday in Ione, WA came in for a meal.  Tom and Paula are also headed for Anacortes following their own route, but are on the Northern Tier for the last section.   Tom has ridden to Alaska but this is Paula’s first long tour.  I took off by myself toward Kettle Falls, WA along Washington Route 2.  It was a beautiful ride in the forest for the first part and Wilma and I stopped at a Crystal Falls along the way.  It was mostly downhill but the west wind made me pedal going down.  My first stop was Colville, WA, for something cold to drink.  I met another cyclist, Rick, who has done several long tours.  He gave me some encouragement for the climbs to come.  I headed on to Kettle Falls.  The area got much dryer with dry grass on the hills.  I also saw maybe the last Drive-In-Movie operating in the USA.  I stopped for lunch in Kettle Falls and when I left the restaurant, it had gotten plenty hot.  I had thoughts of going on ahead to a camping site but found a motel room at the same motel that Tom and Paula had mentioned.  I met them coming in about 2pm and we agreed to meet at 6am to ride together up Sherman Pass.  Mileage for the day was 38.11.    





No comments:

Post a Comment