Wednesday, August 15, 2012


Day 87, August 15th, Rest day in Winthrop, WA.  It felt great to sleep in this morning.  I didn’t rise till about 7:30.  Dallied over breakfast in the motel and then rode about 1 mile to the bike shop.  I got a new back tire and then explored Winthrop.  Winthrop is a little town that time forgot.  I suspect it was like Williamsburg.  Most of the buildings look very old probably dating from the late 1800s or early 1900.  They are all wooden and there is a wooden, covered walkway on both sides of the street.  There are many restaurants and small shops catering to tourists who come for the hiking, mountain bike trails, and trout fishing in the Methow River.  I stopped at a coffee shop and decided to have one of their cinnamon rolls.  The roll was about as big as my bike helmet so I called it lunch.  The rest of the day was devoted to resting.  Tomorrow I head up Washington Pass at 5500+ feet.  I think we are going to halfway up and camp on the mountain which will be a new experience for me.  The next day we will go over the pass and down toward through the Cascades. 

1 comment:

  1. Just love these pictures, maybe Bruce and I will follow your route on vacation, by car, of course! Have fun tomorrow, take lots of snacks and water! Safe traveling!

    ReplyDelete