Wednesday, July 4, 2012


Day 44, July 3rd, Eagan to Lindstrom, MN.  I was awake early this morning, nervous to get going again.  I had a cup of coffee with Jay and breakfast with Sheila.  I loaded up the bike and was on the road by 7am or just after.  I line of thunder storms had come through last night so it seemed a little cooler.  I headed directly north on Route 3 toward St Paul to link with the Adventure Cycling Route.  Route 3 was under construction, like almost every other road in the area, but I was able to shift to route 73 and cruised on in to downtown St Paul.  There was surprising little traffic at 8am and I got to the route relatively easy.  The next 20 miles were on an old rail line (paved) that dropped me near Stillwater, MN.  I met a lot of cyclists on the trail and all wanted to know all about the trip.  I missed the turn while riding and talking and had to back track a little to Stillwater.  Stillwater is a gem.  There are numerous old buildings (1880s) with great architecture and lots of interesting shops.  To my surprise there was a Kathe Wolfarht shop that Cindy and I went to in Germany!  I had lunch at a 50’s style sandwich and soda shop and had a chocolate milkshake just like the old days.  Sheila had mentioned that she thought about taking the Pitt Crew to Stillwater.  We will have to come back to spend a day or two there.  The route went across a neat drawbridge, but I took an alternate way based on my discussions with riders on the trail.  I stayed on the west bank of the St Croix River on MN Route 95.  I was a good ride and shorter but out in the sun.  I had to stop frequently to get in the shade to stay a little cooler.  I got to Lindstrom and headed to the campground.  I probably picked the wrong night to start camping more.  It is still hot at 8:30 and there is no breeze tonight.  The Blue Water Campground is pretty simple but the price was right (free).  I made a rookie mistake and didn’t eat dinner before getting to the campground so I dined on granola.  I wasn’t all that hungry in the heat.  Tomorrow I will find a big breakfast early.  Mileage for the day was 76.24.  I realized that my camera had sweat on the lens on July 4th.  Cindy and I will have to visit Kathe's to retake the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment