Monday, July 23, 2012


Day 64, July 23rd, Malta, MT to Havre, MT.  I had a great morning ride.  I was out early as usual (about 6:45) and the wind was out of the Southeast and blowing hard.  The route was pretty flat and I just cruised at about 18 mph for most of the morning.  I blew through the first 2 towns and got all the way to Harlem, MT before stopping.  I did about 45 miles in less than 3 hours.  I even stopped a couple of times to take pictures and fix my chain when I shifted into high.  I saw a typical ranch/farm area with more junk equipment that Blackie’s on Route 17.  I also was following the railroad and had opportunities for pictures including the site where Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid robbed the Great Northern train.  I ate my second breakfast at Deb’s Café in Harlem and had an omelet that was way too big, but I ate the whole think.  I got to my scheduled stop in Chinook before noon, so I added an extra 20 miles to get to Havre.  The last 20 was pretty slow as the wind shifted from the west.  The forecast is for a west wind tomorrow but at least I cut my distance.  Havre, MT is in Hill County, named for James J. Hill the founder of the Great Northern Railroad.  Havre has a large BNSF yard and maintenance facility including a locomotive repair and servicing facility.  Engines are everywhere and lots of action.  Mileage for the day was 90.52.



No comments:

Post a Comment