Tuesday, July 17, 2012


Day 58, July 17th, Glen Ullin, ND to Belfield, ND.  I awoke to the sound of rain on my tent this morning.  It was light and quit about 6:15, so I started to pack up.  Before I could get packed the rain came back this time much harder.  I set up near a pavilion and was able to use it to get things out of the rain.  I set out in a light rain heading west.  The route is right next to the Burlington Northern Santa Fe railroad so it was pretty flat.  I had all my lights on in the poor visibility.  I was amazed there were cars without lights lit.  The rain stayed light and I made the 12 miles to my breakfast stop in Hebron.  I had the best link sausage so far this trip at a place called the Chuck Wagon.  After breakfast I kept heading west and kept right next to the railroad (NO Trains boo) but made excellent time with little wind. The farms are called ranches and have an entrance made of wood and many times iron.  It was another atypical North Dakota day without wind from the west.  I saw my first live Ring-Necked Pheasant in probably 45 years.  We used to have them come to our feeder in Carnegie.   I met a couple heading east from Seattle and we discussed and rated lodging options.  I decided to push past Dickinson, ND and go to Belfield.  I got info that I should stop for at least 2-3 hours in Medora which is in the North Dakota part of the Badlands.  I will have more on Medora tomorrow.  I stopped in the Dickinson library to post and charge my phone.  The library building was full of wood paneling and old expensive wall décor.  The money for the library was donated by Andrew Carnegie and the town has done its part to maintain a beautiful building.  After Dickinson, I continued to make good time with a tail wind.  There is only one lodging option in Belfield and the campground was full.  I lucked out because a room at the motel WAS available.  I need to dry out some gear.  The lodging is the Trapper’s Kettle Motel.  They have a “Trapper Hall of Fame” wall in the restaurant.   There are a lot more cowboy hats and a lot of oil workers in the area.  So far old U.S. 10 has been empty.  The mileage for the day was 72.63.  Tomorrow I should make Montana.


1 comment:

  1. Despite Andrew Carnegie's many shortcomings, I have always appreciated his libraries, both large and small.

    JCarter

    ReplyDelete