Tuesday, July 10, 2012


Day 51, July 10th, Callaway, MN to Fargo, ND.  It was not a good sleeping night.  The Callaway baseball field where I camped was near the U.S. Route 59 and there was truck traffic.  Also, unknown when I set up, there were security lights around the park, one of which shined into my tent.  I also did not get a shower so it was like Army camping.  I was moving slow in the morning but knew I didn’t have too far to go to Fargo.  My camping buddy, John, was not a  early riser so we ate breakfast together at the convenience store.  I had to charge my phone and I got a message from Jim Birch, that in fact he and Wanda would also be in Fargo tonight.  I headed due west and got my first taste of the plains.  It was mainly flat and the road was straight.  You can see for miles and miles and miles (a line from a song I think).  I picked out a tree line and rode for it and it was 4.5 miles away.  I was lucky today that the wind was light and out of the south, so I made good time and actually did the 50+ miles to Fargo in 4 ½ hours.  Just before Fargo, I made real contact with Wanda and Jim.  I rode through downtown Fargo and it is a nice small city.  There are lots of stores and restaurants and businesses.  There is a bicycle shop in the old Great Northern Railroad Station and I stopped for a bar end plug.  I talked with one of the staff who will be a junior at North Dakota State and runs track.  There was another cross country cyclist heading west.  John looked about 20 and had an old 10 speed with a square trailer.  In the trailer was a duffel bag and a plastic storage box.  John didn’t seem to have much of a plan.  He had just been given an Adventure Cycling Northern Tier map (#4) and that is all he had.  He started from Maine with $300 and needed to finish by August.  I declined to invite him to ride with me.  You meet all kind of folks on the trail.  I arrived at a Sleep Inn and am doing some much needed laundry while waiting for Jim and Wanda.  I am hoping to get a good night’s sleep and head out across North Dakota tomorrow.  Wilma is excited to be in a new state.  Mileage for the day was 57.31.


4 comments:

  1. I listened to a program on NPR radio today on the joys of bike riding. one of the guys said this:"Ya know, All bike riders go to heaven. They get a map, but also an extra three months to get there!" Have fun exploring the countryside. Love, b

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done some cross-country bike touring, but I've always gone through the southern states, instead of up through North Dakota. If I ever do another one, maybe I'll switch it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John and I are envious-of course not of all the miles, but it certainly sounds like an adventure. We have never been to North Dakota other than riding through on the train. Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the flattest land I have ever seen. A mile must seem like a lifetime. You could bike that road with your eyes closed. I zoomed in on the road picture and there is a UFO above the road in the distance.

    ReplyDelete