Saturday, July 28, 2012


Day 69, July 28th, West Glacier, MT to Whitefish, MT.  This was the last riding day before the break to visit Glacier National Park.  I added a few miles to get to the Glacier Cycle Shop in Whitefish because the shop would store my bicycle while Cindy and Dave and Diane Stoakley explore Glacier.  I took my time and had breakfast at the San Sue Ed Campground.  My stay in what I would describe as a backyard shed was actually quite nice.  It is very dark in this area and I had to visit the bathroom during the night, which was somewhat scary.  I saw an article that Glacier Park area is being designated as a “Night Sky” area being so far from metropolitan areas and the ambient light.  I rode on U.S. Route 2 rather than take the Adventure Cycling Route.  The route was fine until the Flathead River Gorge which is very narrow and there was a lot of traffic.  Otherwise the ride was pretty flat but through some beautiful mountain scenery.  I arrive in Whitefish, MT about 11am, found the bike shop and had to wait to check in at the motel.  I visited the old Great Northern Train Station.  Whitefish is much like Aspen or Vail.  I had a scary fall while looking for some hotel rooms.  Hit my elbow quite hard but some ice and Aleve helped.  After getting settled to wait for Cindy, I explored Whitefish and found a great brewery.  The beer also helped my elbow.  I get to sleep in tomorrow.  Mileage for the day was 25.00.

Flathead River

1 comment:

  1. don't forget to sample the huckleberry ice cream! It is delicious.

    ReplyDelete