Monday, July 9, 2012


Day 49, July 8th, Chippewa Pines Resort to Itasca State Park.  The day started out iffy but turned out to be a great day.  As usual, I awoke early at the campground and decided to break camp and get going.  The Pines Restaurant did not open until 8am, I didn’t feel like sitting around for breakfast.  There was an advertised eating stop in Pennington about 2 miles away so I took off at 7:15.  Alas  the restaurant at Pennington had closed so I turned west and headed for Bemiji, the big city in the area.  There was nothing between Pennington and Bemiji so I rode for about 24 miles before breakfast.  Along the way, I met a couple heading on the Mississippi River route south.  Andy and (name forgotten partner) are experienced touring bicyclists.  Andy was riding a Surly with quick release points for easy shipping.  Yesterday was a hard day for me mentally (riding solo) and Andy said several times that he admired someone riding alone and there was some great things about going solo.  His words perked me up.  In Bemiji, home to Paul Bunyon and his Blue Ox, I was looking for a local, non-chain breakfast stop and I met another couple, Gary and Lois, out for a morning ride.  They took me to a local place and asked me to join them for breakfast.  Both are born and raised in Bemiji and gave me all sorts of info about the area and city.  Gary was an interesting guy.  He has worked as a logger, railroad maintenance crew, in the Pressed Board factory, and now as a Registered Nurse.  He said he always wanted to be a nurse and help people, but only took the big step to get the education when the factory shut down.  Gary also provided information about the Great Northern Railroad, now the BNSF.  On my way out of town, I was lucky for a change and a BNSF coal train (empty) heading west rolled through.  I only had about 20 miles to go to Itasca State Park so I took it slow.  It go quite hilly but very pretty.  I crossed the Mississippi 4 times and each time it got smaller.  I am staying at a campground right on Lake Itasca, the start of the Mississippi.  All I can say is WOW.  The park was created to save a huge stand of virgin Red and White Pine forest and was the first state park in Minnesota.  I must add that last Monday, the entire area experience what we would call a hurricane, with 80-100 mph winds.  It was not a tornado effect and there are a lot of fallen trees.  The park staff has done an incredible job to open all the roads and trails.  I ate dinner at the park lodge built in 1905.  I had some Walleye bites for an appetizer, which were good.  Tomorrow I plan to visit the Mississippi headwaters before departing toward Fargo.  Mileage for the day, with the 6 miles to dinner was 65.34.




3 comments:

  1. Hang in there! U are giving us so much pleasure reading about your adventure, it is like an old fashion travel loge, seeing places that I might not get to see. Thanks, bro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos today! Keep the faith... I and many others are with you in spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to see you're pushing through, Arba. What an adventure. Proud of you, and looking forward to your Montana reports. If you have any problems and need help in MT please call me - I've got friends throughout the state, and I'm sure they'd be glad to lend a hand. 406-679-1083.

    ReplyDelete