Friday, July 27, 2012

Day 68, July 27th, East Glacier, MT to West Glacier, MT.   Today, I got my first experience at riding over a mountain pass.  The route was through Marias Pass at about 5200 feet and paralleled the railroad.  I was hoping for some gentle climbs and lots of trains.  The crest of the pass was only 11 miles from East Glacier.  The hostel didn’t open until 7am and to check out I had to change the sheets on my bunk and turn in my towel and lock.  I slept a little late and went next door to the restaurant for breakfast.  The specialty is “stuffed” French Toast.  I had the plain variety.  The 2 pieces were about 3 inches thick because they are normally filled with apples, huckleberries, or some other fruit concoction.  I could only eat one and a little.  I was joined by Jeff Hassel, a Methodist minister (just can’t seem to shake the Methodists) who is on somewhat of a sabbatical.  He actually quit the ministry and is taking a different direction.  While he is between jobs, he is riding his motorcycle to around North America including Canada and Alaska and staying in hostels.  We had a great conversation about the “mainline” churches and mission work.  Jeff is going to explore starting a not-for-profit tourist hotel in Central America, that provides jobs and gives profits to the community.  I got on the road about 8 and headed up the mountain.  The climb was surprisingly easy and I got to Marias Pass about 9:30.  I was interviewed by a Park Ranger about my visit to Glacier Park as well as a long conversation about making “service to Nation” mandatory for all Americans.  There were NO trains!  I saw 5 different work crews doing some heavy maintenance on the BNSF line over the pass.  I was so looking forward to seeing 4 big diesel engines making the ground shake as they pull the load up the mountain.  On the way down to West Glacier, I realized that I got very lucky.  It was 48 miles downhill, which makes it all uphill for the eastbound cyclists.   All the climbing I have done from Fargo, ND was not in vain.  I arrived at West Glacier about 2:30 and thought about driving on to Whitefish, MT, where I will meet Cindy on Sunday, but I didn’t have the legs today.  Even though it was downhill today, there was a stiff breeze up the valley and I had to peddle to keep moving.  I am in a very nice campground just west of West Glacier in what I would describe as a backyard shed set up for sleeping.  There are bears in this area and being in a tent can be unnerving.  I had another conversation, this time with the woman who runs the campground.  She and her late husband moved to West Glacier in 1960 when there was very little in this area other than the railroad lodges in the Park.  She was a wealth of knowledge about the area as well as giving her opinion on life.  I am hearing many train whistles, so the trains are running again.  DRAT.  I may have to spend a day up on Marias Pass watching trains on my break!  So it was a day of beautiful scenery, no trains, and quite a diverse set of conversations.  Mileage for the day was 60.71. 
View headed up the pass


Me at the top of the pass
Lunch stop

2 comments:

  1. Hey, u still look good (for u anyway!!!!) Have a great time at glacier national park! Rest up. Hope the trains are running all the way to Seattle!

    ReplyDelete