Sunday, July 15, 2012

Day 56, July 15th, Bismarck, ND.  I am taking a rest day in Bismarck.  I slept late and did and did some repacking to re-balance my panniers after boxing up some unneeded stuff.  I had breakfast with an Australian couple (Merv and Sue) from Perth.  I am always amazed at how the Australians travel.  Merv and Sue are traveling with their son, who has lived in Dallas for almost 20 years.  Their plan was to drive north on U.S. Route 83 from Texas to Canada.  Sue does all the research and plans the trip to visit all points of interest and small towns.  They also have a son in London and visited there (and Turkey and Germany) on their way to the USA.  After breakfast, I rode my bike to the First Presbyterian Church but found that today’s service was at a local park and I couldn’t get there in time for 10am service.  I also took a ride along the Missouri River for the view and some local history at the Keel Boat Park.  I had to climb quite a big hill to get up to the State Capitol area.  The temperature today is hovering near 100 degrees so I was glad to get to the Capitol area and some air conditioning.  The North Dakota Capitol building was not what I expected.  It is a 20+ story square building made of concrete and actually not impressive or good looking.  The Heritage Center was good with a very informative set of displays about the history and people of North Dakota.   No mileage recorded today, although I did about 12 miles around town. 




1 comment:

  1. Hello from VA. The Preglers just got back from FL. I did some research and found a link for the Warm Showers.org group. They have an app you could download for your phone. It might get you out of the heat now and then: http://www.warmshowers.org/content/iphone-ipad-and-android-mobile-apps-available

    Keep up the peddling! Prayers and Love,
    Bob & Christine

    ReplyDelete