Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Day 45, Jul 4th, Lindstrom, MN to Isle, MN.  Up early again, mainly because I had a restless night camping in the heat.  Since I was trapped at the campground, I did get into the tent early and had a lot of hours trying to sleep.  I felt rested just still hot.  The morning was warm and humid.  I decided to not make coffee hoping to find breakfast on the road.  I made good time on the gently rolling terrain of northern Minnesota.  This is a sparsely inhabited area and the first town was Sunrise, birthplace of Richard Widmark.  There were 2 bars but nothing open.  Next stop was Harris and the only restaurant was closed for the 4th of July holiday.  I was joined on the ride in by a cyclist out for his morning ride.  He recommended going east to the next interstate exit but I chose to follow the route.  Problem, with all the conversation I took a wrong turn.  Thank goodness for my compass which was reading North and not West.  I only had a short detour and then back on the route.  I found a gas station open and had a couple of Poptarts, coffee, and orange juice for breakfast.  It was enough to keep me going along with some cold water.  I made a decision to leave  the route and go to a larger town for a real meal.  Rode into Cambridge, MN and found a Perkins for breakfast.  The meal and some air conditioning hit the spot.  After Cambridge, I rode to Dalbo, where there is a farm that caters to touring bicyclists.  Since it was only noon, I made a decision to ride on.  This would mean an 80+ day to Isle.  As mentioned the terrain was rolling and Route 47 had a wide shoulder.  There was no shade on the road, but I broke the ride into segments and stopped frequently to sit or stand under a tree to keep semi-cool.  The temperature was over 90 and I went through a lot of water.  I arrived at Isle about 4 and made a call to find a hotel if possible.  Isle sits on Mille Lacs Lake, which is quite large and a haven for fishermen.  McQuoids Inn is ALL about fishing.  There was no restaurant close, but I needed some food, so I rode to Buzzies.  The desk clerk made it sound close, but I have found “non-cyclists” do not understand distance.  With the trip to Buzzies, the mileage for the day was 94.25.  This is the most miles for any day and I picked the hottest one!  Still, I feel very good and ready for tomorrow. 


4 comments:

  1. Hope you saw some fireworks along the way the last couple days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hydrate hydrate hydrate!! You're doing great! Keep it up! I think I over use exclamation points! Just excited for you. Wish I could've joined as your partner. Next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hope all is going well. Keep Pedaling!!!! Good seeing you last week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am finally up to date...what a ride...and adventure...but can't believe you made the start with food at Retro's in Williamsburg and not brunch at the Sweckers. I so admire your spirit...and thanks for letting us "live" the adventure with your blog.

    ReplyDelete