Thursday, July 26, 2012

Day 67, July 26th, Shelby, MT to East Glacier, MT.  I SAW THE MOUNTAINS TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!  I got up early again in case the wind was a problem.  I left Shelby about 6:15 and headed west.  The wind was very light and at times from the Northeast.  I made steady time to Cut Bank.  I was going to go to a McDonald’s for breakfast in honor of Dave Stoakley, but decided at the last minute to go to the Sky Café.  I should have gone to McDonald’s.  The breakfast took forever and I ordered my favorite “corned beef hash” with my eggs.  I paid for that mistake later.  Leaving Cut Bank, the route took a big dip across Cut Bank Creek and I had a nasty climb back up to the plateau.  After that, the route was flat and the wind was at my back for about 15 miles.  I saw the eastbound Amtrak train below me in a picturesque setting but I couldn’t get stopped fast enough.  I averaged 12-13 mph across the flat.  After Cut Bank, I entered the Blackfeet Indian Reservation and there were no towns or stops for 30 miles to Browning.  I made great time and got to Browning about noon with 60 miles done.  The wind sure does make a difference.  I did pay for my breakfast with a cramp in my side for most of this stretch (sorry I ever doubted Dave that McD’s was the best place to eat).  As I was cresting the last hill into the Browning area, I saw the outline of “the mountains” on the horizon.  I took a long break in Browning and visited the Museum of the Plains Indians in Browning.  The museum is small but has some good information about the Native American peoples.  I took off for East Glacier about 2pm and the mountains came into sharp focus and what a ride!  It was only 12 miles but the map indicated some elevation gain from 4400 ft. to 5000 ft. on the route.  It was, I hope, a good test of the climbs to come.   Tomorrow, I climb Marias Pass (5500 ft.) and hopefully get to West Glacier.  I have decided that there have been 3 constants on this trip.  Every day, I have seen a UPS, a FEDEX, and a Schwann’s truck.  Don’t you just love the USA.  I also tried something different for tonight’s lodging.  I took a bunk at a hostel in East Glacier.  I am the only person over 30 but thought I should try it once. East Glacier is very small with a main street with tourist stuff and this little area with several old motels and small restaurants and shops.  This part is very laid back and only open in the summer.   Mileage for the day was 70.86.





1 comment:

  1. Great job. Enjoy Glacier and your rest and your visit. The area is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete