Saturday, July 7, 2012

Day 47, Jul 6th, Palisade, MN to Grand Rapids, MN.  I spent a good night in the tent.  It was quiet and I slept well.  I was awakened about 5am with the sound of rain which became a series of thunder storms lasting till about 8am.  When the rain stopped the mosquitos came back in force.  I packed everything and got ready to go inside the tent and made a quick take down of my camp.  The northern Minnesota area has had so much rain the mosquitos are everywhere.  I packed the bike quickly, but as I started to ride I realized my back tire was flat.  I had to pump it up yesterday and was afraid the slow leak would prove fatal.  I walked my bike to the local gas station and changed the tube.  The sun was out and I was hopeful for a good day.  At the local diner, the rain returned during breakfast but ended as I left.  It was a late start at almost 11am.   I must add that the people in Palisade, MN were the friendliest the whole trip.  Some were visitors, but all the locals were great.   I headed out on the Mississippi River Road, Route 10, and the rain returned again.  This was the first day the entire trip with a pouring rain.  The rain lasted until about 2 pm.  There were no towns or stops along the route so I just rode all the way to Grand Rapids and finished the day at 50.1 miles.  Every time I took a break along the road, the mosquitos would attack, so breaks were few and short.  My legs were very tired although the terrain was pretty flat.  The 2 hotels on the Adventure Cycling Map were full, but I found the Chamber of Commerce.  The C of C directed me to the Itascan Inn, which is not fancy but clean and dry.  As I finished dinner, the sky cleared with a promise for a great day tomorrow. I am headed toward Lake Itasca, the start of the great Mississippi River.

1 comment:

  1. U need to stop at walmart or target and get those OFF clip ons for your shirt or pants. We use them here on the farm and that way u don't have to spray sticky stuff on yourself. U could also stick them in the tent for the night.

    ReplyDelete