Wednesday, July 25, 2012


Day 65, July 24th, Havre, MT to Hingham, MT.  I was not moving fast today after a 90+ mile day yesterday.  The day was clear and surprisingly cool.  The forecast was a high of 85 degrees and wind from the west.  I got on the road about 7:30 and headed west.  I climbed back up onto the plateau and into Hill County area.  There is a little different look to the terrain as I approach the mountains.  I passed the most notable historic site in Havre, the cliff the native peoples used to kill buffalo by stampeding them off.  It is considered a sacred place by the tribes.  .  The route continues to follow the railroad and I was several BNSF trains hauling grain, stacked containers, and some mixed loads.  I made good time but not like yesterday.  At about 25 miles the route started to climb and the wind picked up.  By the 30 mile mark at Gildford, MT, the wind was fierce.  I had a hard time keeping the bike straight in the cross wind as well as trying to keep moving forward.  The last 6 miles seemed to take forever.  At Hingham, I stopped at the Hi-Way Bar and Café, had some soup (very good beef vegetable) and a grilled cheese.  When I stepped outside to get back on the road the wind hit me and I decided to call it a day.  The forecast is for wind at 24-29 mph all afternoon, but tomorrow looks better.   My plan is to get on the road at first light and get miles before the wind picks up.  Hingham has a nice city park with bathrooms and water.  The Hi-Way Café also runs a RV park that is currently filled with teams harvesting wheat and I can get a shower.  I have all the comforts of home.  I had a nice conversation with a woman and her children at the park.  Robin was born here, but moved to Helena with her husband.  When the housing construction dropped off, they came home to Hingham.  Sounds like he is the best carpenter in town and stays very busy and more profitable than in Helena.  As I have wished to be on the road making positive distance toward Glacier Park, the wind continues to howl and I think I made a good choice.  Mileage for the day was 35.65. 


No comments:

Post a Comment