Sunday, July 22, 2012


Day 63, July 22nd, Glasgow, MT to Malta, MT.  I was worried about today all night.  I expected hilly terrain and some west wind.  I made a note to self: do not quit early and go to a campground.  A hotel/motel is okay because there is a TV and one can secure gear and look around town.  I was trapped at the campground.  I did have a lot of time to read my Bible.  I must say to Ken Peterson and Michael Condrey, Romans is hard!  I was up and out by 6:45.  Got some coffee and ate 2 Pop Tarts and headed west.  The wind was still light and it was cool.  The route climbed out of Glasgow but then I was up on the plateau with a gentle roll.  I met a cyclist heading east, Larry, from Toano.  Larry rides with the Richmond club (RABA) often, so Dave may see him.  After the plateau the route dropped down to the Milk River and a flat stretch. I noticed on the plateau, the farmers have dug a network of irrigation canals.  This is a dry area. My first stop was Hinsdale at almost 30 miles, but only the gas station was open because it was Sunday.  I had a terrible blueberry muffin and a cup of coffee and hit the road.  I took the next 40 miles in 5 mile increments.  The next town Saco was also closed so I pressed on.  The routine was the same and it got hot but not as hot as past days.  The route followed the railroad for a couple of miles, then went up on the plateau, then came back down.  I did see several trains!  I had lunch from my food supply at Buffalo Rock, a sacred spot for the Cree Tribe.  I arrived in Malta about 2:30, found the planned motel and visited the Phillips County Museum.  It is amazing the collection of artifacts, historical items and junk that these town museums collect.  The mileage for the day was 73.78



No comments:

Post a Comment