Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Day 66, July 25th, Hingham, MT to Shelby, MT.  My goal today was to make up some of the distance I lost yesterday in the wind.  I was on the road at 5:45 before sunrise.  The wind was from the west but not strong yet.  I kept a steady pace but the wind made the ride hard work.  I had to take a lot of breaks but tried to make the ride into small sections (5, 7, 10 miles).  I took opportunities for pictures as a break.  I saw a lot of trains and another Ring-Necked Pheasant.  It must have been the westbound period for the single track BNSF in this area.  The terrain was just wide open and somewhat bleak.  My first long stop was at Chester, my destination yesterday and I found a nice café called Spud’s Place for breakfast.  I met a couple of eastbound riders who bragged about doing 100 miles yesterday.  I’m sure their distances were high today too.  After breakfast in Chester, it was a slog for the rest of the day.  My legs held up pretty well, but I am glad I have a break soon.  I made Shelby but didn’t have any legs for a push to Cut Bank.  There was a historical marker for Shelby.  Shelby was originally a railroad and cattle town, then became a center for the farming community, and finally an oil town.  I picked the local Ohaire Motel and explore the downtown.  I believe everything has moved out near Interstate 15.  Tomorrow I try to get to East Glacier, another 70 mile day.  Mileage for today was 70.97.    



1 comment:

  1. That wind sounds like a killer, but keep on trucking along. None of us here could do 20 miles a day. (only in my kabota!!!) Maddie's first birthday is next Monday-I hope she has your great sense of adventure! Love, Maddie's Nana and your best younger sister

    ReplyDelete