Tuesday, July 17, 2012


Day 57, July 16th, Bismarck, ND to Glen Ullin, ND.  I was up early with nowhere to go.  I had to wait for the UPS store to open at 8:30 to mail my package of extra stuff.  I got on the road about 9:30 and headed out through Bismarck and its sister town Mandan.  The first 5 miles was on a paved bike trail across the Missouri and through most of Mandan.  It was then pretty much a straight shot on old U.S. 10 (now Route 139) west.  The first part was flat, but after about 10 miles I started to climb away from the Missouri River valley.  The hills were long but not steep and I had a light cross wind out of the North.  This is a different area than the eastern North Dakota prairie.  It is more rocky and steep and there are more beef cattle.  The hills are called “buttes”, and the highest so far is 2,323 feet.  I had lunch in New Salem where Jim and Wanda Birch took a picture of a large cow by the interstate.  After lunch, I had my first taste of riding on Interstate 94 for about 12 miles.  There is a large, wide shoulder and many trucks change lanes as they pass.  It was different but not scary.  I arrived in Glen Ullin, a small town and found the town campground.  There are no showers and a pit toilet, but it is quiet.  An added bonus is the BNSF goes right past the campground.  I was able to enjoy some train watching.  Mileage for the day was 61.68.     

1 comment:

  1. Keep on rolling Arba, your adventure is so inspiring! sending you warm (or cool?) thoughts and prayers from part of your KirkWood family :)
    -Courtney

    ReplyDelete