Tuesday, July 10, 2012


Day 50, July 9th, Itasca State Park to Callaway, MN.  I got up early to visit the Headwaters of the Mississippi before breakfast.  I had this crazy idea to ride an 11 mile loop around the park, but thought better of it after the hilly ride to the headwaters.  The Mississippi River is only 4 inches deep and about 6 feet wide as it begins out of Lake Itasca.  I have to find out what is the definition of a river as far as width and depth.  A the Park Visitor Center there was a quote from a park visitor: “I came to see the river, but I left remembering the trees.”  Itasca Park contains 25% of the remaining old growth pine forest in Minnesota.  I had a fine breakfast at the Lodge and took my time getting started, not wanting to leave such a beautiful place.  The ride was pleasant through farmland and forests and rolling.  I stopped for lunch at Ice Cracking Lake Resort and discovered Slot Machines everywhere.  Most of the ride was through Indian Reservations so gambling is allowed.  At Callaway, I was looking for the City Park and met another cross country cyclist, John Meiners, going east.  The City Park turned out to be the local ball field with no facilities except Porta Johns.  John is an experienced cyclist and is all about touring at low cost.  We decided to stay at the ball park.  I was okay since I am in Fargo tomorrow at a hotel and can do some laundry.  About 6:45pm, people started to arrive for a 7pm adult softball game, which is still going on at 9.  There is a good crowd and the teams are having fun.  This was a taste of America and why I wanted to do this tour.  Best of all, the main line of the Canadian Pacific runs through town and I have seen several trains.  Tomorrow I head to Fargo and maybe a dinner date with the Birches.  Mileage for the day was 69.82.   


1 comment:

  1. Seems appropriate that our coach took in a softball game during his sabbatical! Unfortunately, Liberty's select team handed us a sound defeat last night (7/12), bringing our season to a close, but third place overall is not too shabby! Take care~ Karin

    ReplyDelete