Saturday, July 14, 2012


Day 54, July 13th, Gackle, ND to Hazelton, ND.  After a good night’s sleep in the Miller’s basement, I was ready to ride again, despite the tough day yesterday.  I said goodby to the Miller’s and headed for the local breakfast café.   It was an interesting scene.  The men were crowded around one table and the women were around another.  All were drinking coffee.  I conversed with both groups who wanted to know about my trip.  As a man would get up to leave to go to work on the farm, his wife would then leave too.  This seemed to be an every morning event to socialize and gossip.  No one had breakfast, just coffee.  I  headed out going south first and then west.  I was in luck today because the wind was from the north or northeast and generally at my back.  What a difference.  Yesterday I had to pedal downhill to keep moving.  Today I was going uphill easily.  I was able to enjoy the ride and the scenery.  This part of North Dakota is quite hilly and dotted with lakes and sloughs (I’m not sure of the difference).  I saw a lot of water fowl today.  There were white pelicans, lots of different ducks, and blue and white herons and other birds.  After one particularly long hill the terrain flattened out to a the rolling prairie.  My first real stop was Napoleon, ND, after almost 40 miles.  At the café, the special was “Kneophla” soup, a mix of egg noodles, potatoes, and chicken broth.  Rae Lyn may be familiar with this soup.  It was very good and filling.  I watched a train engine pushing grain cars to be loaded.  I only had 26 miles to go to Hazelton and I made that with no trouble.  I wanted to go slower, but there is ABSOLUTELY NO SHADE along the route.  There are numerous trees around the farm houses and buildings but they were planted to block the wind.  Most farms are also a considerable distance of the highway.  I noticed piles of rocks dotted around the fields; a reminder of what the glaciers left from who knows where.  With no cool place to stop, I just kept going and arrived about 3pm.  I am camping at the City Park that has shower and bathroom facilities.  It is about 92 degrees and I hope it cools off.  Tomorrow I arrive in Bismarck and plan to take a rest day on Sunday.  Mileage for the day was 68.78.      


2 comments:

  1. That's how every farm event in Waynesburg turns out too! The guys are talking beef and crop prices, and how many bales of hay per acre they got (which sometimes are like fishing stories, not all true), and the women want "real" gossip! I think u are making great progress and glad u are taking a rest day! Love u, b. p.s. That soup sounds like a mess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looked up "warm Showers" today and that is a neat organization. The gossip sounds like a normal morning for farmers. I now have a map handy and the gates are tracking your progress. Have a good rest in Bismark! Wilma looks happy and well rested.

    ReplyDelete