Thursday, July 12, 2012


Day 52, July 11, Fargo, ND to Enderlin, ND (Pierce City Park).  I had breakfast with Jim and Wanda Birch at the hotel and then headed out for my first day across North Dakota.  The wind was out of the south/southeast today but unfortunately the first part of the route out of Fargo headed south.  It was a slow go but steady and there were a few clouds keeping the heat down.  My first stop was in the town of Kindred, ND and I bought something to eat at the grocery store.  I had burned through breakfast quickly.  I found a shady spot by the train tracks and a Red River Valley and Western train stopped right in front of me.  I am living right.  After Kindred, I turn west.  The wind was not in my face but the crosswind makes riding a chore.  As I put miles behind me, the temperature went into the 90’s.  There aren’t a lot of towns or stores and my next stop was Enderlin, ND.  As I rode into town, I discovered this is a small yard and crew switching point of the Canadian Pacific and a train was sitting by the crossing.  I ate at the only café/antique and other things store.  On the way into Enderlin, I met a cyclist going east who told me the Yellowstone River Campground had no water, so I was looking at other options.  There is a motel in Enderlin but it was full.  Since it was only about 12 miles to the campground, I decided to hang out at the library, buy some food and ride to the campground later.  I met Myrene Peterson, the librarian, Assistant Director of the Museum and running for the North Dakota Legislature. Myrene directed me to the Enderlin City Pierce Park as an alternative.  I checked out the campground and decided to stay in Enderlin.  The Canadian Pacific switches crews in Enderlin so I watched the action for a couple of hours.  At dinner, again at the Traxside, I had a scare.  My phone was dead and I knew the battery was charged.  Nothing worked until I remember the rule: “with electronics stuff, take the battery out and reset”.  The phone is back in business, but I realized the phone is the one item I can’t do without.  Making reservations, checking on sites, and especially hearing Cindy’s voice once a day are essential to keeping mentally strong.  Pierce Park is a lovely site and today was good.  Readers will also notice that the picture quality is back.  The lens cover is not closing fully and in my bike shirt pocket, sweat was getting on the lens.  I am keeping the camera in the handle bar bag and solved the problem.  Mileage for the day was only 55.83.


1 comment: