Wednesday, July 18, 2012


Day 59, July 18th, Belfield, ND to Wibaux, MT.  I forgot to mention yesterday that I moved into the Mountain Time Zone.  The western part of North Dakota uses the Mountain Time.  The actual line is the border of ND and Montana.  Needless to say I was up early so I had some coffee and a bagel and headed out.  It was cool and clear after some rain last night and I made good time with little to no wind.  It was back on Interstate 94 after a short stretch but traffic was light.  My first stop was the Painted Canyon Visitor Center (also a rest stop on I94) that was my introduction to the Badlands.  The Center looks over the canyon and gives some info about why the badlands are the badlands.  The area is multiple layers from volcanic activity, time when the area was an inland sea, and time when it was a sub-tropical area somewhat like Florida.  The materials left are prone to erosion and lignite coal (very soft) is present and can catch fire with a lighting strike.  It is very interesting terrain and beautiful.  Next stop was the town of Medora which is also the gateway to a section of the Theodore Roosevelt National Park.  The National Park was made from the ranch land holdings of Theodore Roosevelt.  Medora is a tourist trap although nicely done.  I had breakfast and waited for a tour of Teddy Roosevelt’s first cabin in the area.  The Visitor Center and cabin tour celebrate Theodore Roosevelt’s work to get the USA to conserve and cherish natural resources.  By the time I headed west, it was getting quite hot.  The forecast was for 98 degrees.  I took Old U.S. 10 and followed the railroad.  The Badlands are very hilly and the wind got stronger and from the SW almost in my face.  This was a grueling stretch.  I was happy to see the little town of Sentinel Butte and had a nice stop at the only place in town.  The proprietor, Rick and I had a good conversation about the area.  I headed out and it was hotter and the wind was still blowing.  I was another hard but short stretch to Beach for another break.  Back on I94, the wind seemed to have lessened, and I made good time into Montana and to Wibaux, Mt.  I visited the Wibaux Museum.  The town is named for Pierre Wibaux, who came from France, started a cattle ranch, and bought up other ranches and at one time had the largest ranch in the world.  The estimate is the W Bar Ranch had 65,000 free range cattle and sold about 10,000 per year.  The campground in Wibaux went out of business, but lucky for me there is a motel in town.  The next town is almost 30 miles and mileage for the day is already at 58.02.       


1 comment:

  1. trip, good geology on the badlands. U may have to trade in your bike helmet for a cowboy hat in Montana. Bruce

    ReplyDelete